Facts about Yemeni Douani Sidr Honey (Honey of Kings)
Douani Kings Honey, which is the finest natural honey produced by bees from the nectar of the Sidr tree in
Do’an Valley. One of the most famous regions in Yemen for the production of Sidr honey is Do’an in the southern part of Yemen in Hadramawt. Where bees feed the nectar of Sidr trees in remote valleys surrounded by mountains.
“In the laboratories of Sana’a University, it was found that the proportion of Sidr pollen in the composition of Sidr honey reaches 95%, which is a very large number compared to the percentage required by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, which is 45%, as a condition for naming any type of honey by the name of the tree.
A study was conducted on mice and published in the Journal of the (World Academy of Medical Sciences, Engineering and Technology), and discussed at a conference in Paris and London. The study proved that Sidr honey possesses very strong, anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving vital compounds, and these compounds were acquired from phytochemicals found in the nectar of Sidr flowers. So much so that the therapeutic effect of Sidr honey is higher than that of aspirin and indomethacin. Other studies were also conducted at the Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (a Kuwaiti research institution), which included many laboratory tests on Sidr honey to test its properties and alleged benefits.
It is unique as a kind of blond honey extracted from Sidr and thistle trees, which has not been subjected to any heat or other treatments to ensure the preservation of its natural properties.
It is worth noting that the honey produced from a tree is distinguished by its special taste, distinct flavor, and maintains its quality, and the higher its density, the more its color becomes black. Sidr honey.
FEATURES OF SIDR HONEY
Sidr honey is produced by bees who only feed on the nectar of Sidr trees, one of the oldest trees that mentioned in the Holiy Quran. Sider honey is considered one of the finest honey and it’s been known for healing benefits since ancient time. The herbalists preferred it for curing diseases and promoting health because it gives better results comparing with other types of honey. Sidr honey has many variants, each has different features and specifications, all of which captured the attention of researchers in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia who have conducted several experiments on samples of honey from all over the world (available in Saudi market). They found that Sidr honey contains a high proportion of metals.
Among the most famous areas in Yemen for producing Sidr honey are Doan in Hadramout, Gardan, Bayhan in Shabwa. In all these areas honey bees feed themselves exclusively on the nectar from the Sidr trees. Like other types of honey, Sidr honey needs good care through all stages starting from production to packaging, testing of samples and storage. Honey is very sensitive and it change at the lowest degree of temperature, any mistake while processing might turns it into harmful material instead of being healthy.
Sidr honey is characterized by golden light color, it darkens and tends to redness over time. While fresh and newly produced, it reminds you the same aromatic smell of Sidr tree in the month of October, the season when Sidr tree is flowering. Sidr honey is different from one region to another, so the taste, color, aroma and density. All variants share the exquisite taste, splendid aroma and all of them are very expensive. In Saudi Arabia, Sidr trees are found in areas close to Yemen, where the Kingdom of Seba used to be”the home of Sidr which is mentioned in the Holy Quran verse 16 of Sura Saba, “and something of few Sidr”. Each valley of Yemen has story to tell about Sidr.
The health and therapeutic benefits of Sidr honey
- Removes stomach hyperacidity
- It strengthens memory
- Helps fetal growth for pregnant women
- To stimulate reproductive system function and it is sexual tonic
- Stimulate immunity, good for chest and stomach infections
- To strengthen the bones
- Rich with nutrients needed for anemia
- It strengthens the nerves
- help to speed up healing of wounds and burns
- Anti microbial, anti oxidant and anti inflammatory
- Alleviate joints pain
Some researches took place in Egypt had shown higher percentage of antioxidants in Sidr honey comparing with other types of honey. Sidr trees in Egypt are in Sina and other areas, and when our General Manager visited the Valley of Tur Mountain in Sina, he received Sidr honey as a gift from beekeepers there.
According to tests carried out by the laboratory technician Zabihullah Ahmed Reda at (Miracle Healing in Kuwait – quality control department) Sidr honey doesn’t change when exposed to heat, whether low, medium or high and even at the temperature of 80�� C degree, except that little thing, which is negligible in terms of both sugars diverse it contains or enzymes that change rate in other types of honey very quickly even when exposed to low temperatures, as well as the HMF (an indicator of the adulteration of honey with invert syrups -syrups of glucose and fructose), did not rise in Sidr honey except for two degrees or three degrees, while it rose in the other types of honey and reached up to 30 and even 50 degrees (in ppm) at temperature of 70-80 �� C within half an hour. Also a sample of an old Sidr honey stored in sealed glass for 10 years is examined in the same laboratory, it shows no changes in the chemical composition, quality specifications and the percentage of HMF didn’t increase.
When the director of the company and founder asked the Director and Technician of the laboratory of quality in Kuwait about his experiences and observations over the past years about the types of honey entering the country, he told us that he found this type (means Sidr honey) is the finest honey and completely comply with the required standards and specifications. Several laboratory examinations were done on Sidr honey at Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (a governmental research foundation with high potential and high-tech devices) it has confirmed the quality of Sidr honey.
In a recent study by researcher Dr. Aman Ahmed Mohammed Zubair from the University of “UCSI” in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia supervised by Dr. Patrick Oukichacoa, demonstrated the effectiveness of Sidr honey in treating inflammation, reducing excessive fever and stabilize activity of the body’s cells and protect against injury and relieve pain. The study, conducted on (rats) showed that, the pharmacological effect of Sidr honey is higher than aspirin and indomethacin (an antibiotics and pain relievers).
Researches are still underway to determine the pharmacological mechanical of Sidr honey and its effectiveness for treating other diseases, The study is the first scientific document published internationally.
The study was published in the magazine (World Academy of Medical Sciences, Engineering and Technology) and high court . Also the research was discussed in a conference held in France – Paris Augustus 2011, and Britain – London Dec, 2011. It worth mentioning that the researcher was a girl student from Yemen studying Medical genetics and biotechnology in Malaysia. She’s a member of the American Society for Pharmacology and therapeutics, and a member of the British pharmaceuticals society.
Despite these obvious facts, Sidr trees is still surrounded with a lot of ambiguity in the Arab culture, it says that Sidr honey is been used in magic and sorcery along with others treatment uses. Hundreds years ago, Sidr honey was given as a gift to kings, princes to express appreciation and loyalty. In other cultures, we found that old Indian used Sidr honey to solve eyes’ problems and clear vision. In Western culture, Sidr trees is sacred among Christians.
Arabs Beekeepers Association during its sixth International Conference has revealed a research conducted at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Aden in order to study the effect of four types of honey from Yemen (Sidr, somor, qasas, and range on dressing the gluteal and breast abscesses.
The results showed that there was significant difference (P>0.01) between the honey sorts on dressing period of gluteal abscesses. The period was shorter (8 days) when treated with sidr honey, while the longer period (13.25 days) was found in treatment of range honey. The dressing period was 9.75, 10.5 days in somor and qasas treatments respectively. There was no significant difference between the dressing period of breast abscesses when using honey sorts, sidr, somor and qasas. The using period was 8.33, 9.33, 11.0 days respectively.
Also Arabs Beekeepers Association during its sixth International Conference has revealed experiments conducted in the laboratory by the Department of Plant Protection, Faculty of Agriculture – University of Sana’a to evaluate the influence of six Yemeni honeys (Sallam, Sidr Wessabi, Sidr Dwani, Flowers, Dwani pasture and Somor) another commercial honey, with five concentration (0.5%, 1%, 5%, 10% and 20%) against pathogenic bacteria, Salmonella Escherichia coli Staphylococcus aureus Pseudomonas aurogenosa !Proteus. Our results indicated that the honeys for good effects against pathogenic bacteria were Sallam, Flowers and Dwani pasture, followed by Sidr Wessabi and the third honeys group were Sidr Dwani and Soomur. However, no antibacterial activity was seen for commercial honey.
The best concentration for good antibacterial activity was 20% followed by 10%. It is clear from our data that Dwani pasture honey exhibit good activities against growth of E.coli and Pseudomonas aurogenosa at all concentration, also, minimal inhibition was appeared against Staphylococcus aureus at 5, 10 and 20% for its. However, Sidr Dwani honey was appeared highly effects against all pathogenic bacteria under study with highly significant at 20% followed by Sallam honey at the same concentration.
No antibacterial activity was seen at honey concentration 0.5, 1 and 5% for the majority honeys. Key words: honey, antibacterial, pathogenic bacteria and Yemen.
Method of determination of honey pollen and geographical source of honey:
- Each type of honey has special physical characteristics known to beekeepers and experience people for testing honey only such as the color of honey, taste, flavor and smell, which is transmitted to honey from the flower. For example, the smell of Sidr honey reminds you of the same smell from the Sidr tree in the Sidr season during October and January (note that honey exposed to high heating loses the smell and flavor of honey
- Each type of honey have a special color from clear to white, yellow, red, brown, dark and black according to the flower and beekeepers knows easily. for measuring honey color there is a special device called colorimeter by unite (pfund).
- Each type of honey has its own electrical conductivity number, which measured by a special device in the laboratory called conductivity meter.
- The most important method that is used generally to determine the honey flower and the geographical location of honey is to determine the type, shape and number of pollen in honey by microscopy and matching with flower pollen around the world through Atlas pollen. It’s like the fingerprint of every honey.
فحص حبوب اللقاح لعسل السدر اليمني
شكل حبوب اللقاح لعسل السدر اليمني تحت المجهر
حبوب اللقاح القليلة 3-<15%
Compositae , Asteraceae
حبوب اللقاح الثانوية 15- 45%
45% > حبوب اللقاح الاساسية
Rhamnaceae (ziziphus spina christi)
Here is a clarification of some of the necessary points related to what we have mentioned:
- Pollen sticks to the legs of bees when standing on the flowers to absorb the nectar then pollen Mixing with honey.
- Each flower has pollen different from other types of flowers in the shape depending on the region. For example, the shape of pollen for the flower of Manuka is different from the shape of pollen for the flower of Sidr honey or others.
- External pollen from different flower or area can not be added to honey to change the source of honey because the shape and size of pollen which are added to honey by bees are different because many changes and treatments and chemical additions by bees are applied, therefore bee pollen are completely different from the pollen added by humans hand and distinguished clearly under Microscope.
- Each drop of honey contains very high number of pollen, the least (10,000) and may reach 100,000. The honey which have more number of pollen have more benefits to human health.
- Consumers can observe pollen in honey on the surface of unfiltered honey or inside the honey as impurities or sediments.
- Commercial companies work on the process of cleaning and filtering honey from pollen because it helps to speed up the crystallization of honey and this process makes their product shiny, beautiful, desirable and attractive to the consumer, but this kind of honey have low benefits for human health.
- US honey is completely free of pollen because they consider pollen are foreign on the honey and must be filtered. European honey contains some pollen because European standard of honey not allow removing pollen from honey. Honey is also found in beekeepers with very high amounts of pollen so honey crystallizes quickly.
- one honey jar or one drop of honey have hundreds types of pollen, but honey is called by the flower name which have highest number of pollen inside that honey as “clover honey” means that the pollen of clover’s flower has the highest number for other pollen.
How to check honey at home?
- See thoroughly a closer look of honey because natural honey contains impurities, either on the surface or inside the honey packaging, while the abnormal is very transparent, such as glass so as not to obscure the vision from behind the package.
- Smell honey The honey smell may be permeable or weak, which is the smell of flowers and fields, which produced honey by bees, while honey unnatural or unhelpful has no smell at all.
- Taste honey, natural honey has a flavor, which is the flavor of flowers and plants, while unnatural honey is just sweetness, meaning sweet like sugar syrup without any special taste.
- Eat honey, if it was natural, then it relaxes your stomach and you do not feel any discomfort in the stomach, but if the honey is not natural, you will feel a burning sensation in the stomach that does not fade away except by drinking water several times throughout the day.
HOW TO EAT HONEY?
2 SPOONS DAILY
Lab Analysis Report
|Mulook Natural Honey Yemeny
|HPLC(UV-IR ), UV Spectrophotometer
|Pure Yemey honey
|CODEX STD 12-19811
|-Not have any foreign taste rather its natural sweetness.
-Honey chunks not contain bee’s eggs or larvae.
-Not contain any artificial sweetener.
-Not be altered due to over heating or fermentation.
– Free from impurities.
-free from food additives.
-Acidity not artificially change
|-Shall not have any other foreign taste rather its natural taste.
– Honey chunks not contain
-Shall not contain any artificial sweetener bee’s eggs or larvae.
-Shall not be altered due to over heating or fermentation
– Free from impurities.
-free from food additives.
-Acidity not artificially change
|O.D at 560nm= 0.421mAU
|Less than 0.8mScm-1
|Specific Rotation 1
|Polarized light to left
|Polarized light to left
- Chemical Tests
|CODEX STD 12-19811
|Hydoxy Methyl Furfural
|Not more than 80 mg/kg
AS GSO 147(2007)
|Not more than 20%
|Not more than 5%
|More than 60.0%
|More than 60%
|Not less than 8
|AOAC 958.09 RT
|Water activity 1
Water activity 2
Water activity 3
Water activity 4
Water activity 5
|Not more than 0.1g/100g
|Should be absent
|Randox test – ELISA
- MICROBIOLOGICAL TESTS
|CODEX STD 12-19811
|TOTAL UNCERTAINITY FOR THE METHOD
|Yeast and mold
Analyst -Mrs. Dhanuja chittil Approved by lab Manager: Mr. Yaser Megahed